Thursday, April 12, 2007

Grand Forks

Tomorrow right before second recess we are heading to one of my favourite places in the world; Grand Forks. As a child my family and about 10 others would pack up and head south for a weekend of swimming and shopping. We took up a whole wing at the North Star Inn. Oh what fun it was! I don't know what it is about that place, but to this day I still get that same excitement I had when I was 8, and had 10 bucks burning a whole in my pocket to spend at target. I couldn't wait to see the different toys, and spend the whole weekend playing with it.(it usually ended up being a barbie) In those days, Jeff and I could head off to the toy section alone while mom checked out the latest house holds and dad went to buy his 4 pair of rustlers; one of every colour. Dad is so funny, when he likes something he buys at least 4. I'll never forget when walmart came to town (gf), and dad went shopping with mom and I. He found these Shasta jeans, he wrestled with the idea of,"should we go to kmart and get the rustlers, or should I get the Shasta's? after all they looked great, and were only 9.89. How could you go wrong? Needless to say, it did. They didn't fit like a glove and after storing them in his closet for about 10 years he got up the courage to offer them to Jeff for work pants. The only one that took them was the local thrift and gift. I think Jason may have been offered them too. I remember when my grandma took her daughters and granddaughters for a weekend. She bought all us girls owl earings (which I still have and wear). We shopped and shopped, and at the end of the day we convinced her to come swimming with us. after a few cups of that 7-up wine, she popped herself in a bathing suit, bra and all, and amused all of us! My cousin Paul often has his birthday when we went. I can still see those colorful donuts on a stick at the North star Inn pool side as we celebrated his special day. I remember wrestling with my brother on the freshly made beds, and flipping from one to the other (I just jumped, Jeff was the dare devil). I remember lieing in bed at night after about 8 hours of swimming and barely able to keep my eyes opened cause they burned so bad(from the chlorine). I remember waking up early and watching scooby doo, and all the other great cartoons that we didn't get at home. The memories are endless.....I think that is why I love it so much. Now I'm taking my kids, and guess what? They love it the same. They can't stop talking about it. Everyday we have the count down, and everyday they ask why we can't leave earlier. (I'm totally with them on that one.) Thank you mom and dad for creating those memories for me, and making it a special place. I probably won't be able to sleep tonight either.

15 Comments:

At 6:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes... you blogged something new....oh Shell how blessed we all were/are...so many fun and happy memories...that too, is why I love Grand Forks...am going this weekend also....can;t wait...meet you at Gordmans??? : ) tante L

 
At 7:13 p.m., Blogger Louise said...

That is SO awesome!! Those memories sound great!!
So Cool that your kids will have their own memories of the adventures in Grand Forks!
I am jealous...I love Grand Forks too!!
Have fun....shop shop shop!!

 
At 9:25 p.m., Blogger it's a gong show... said...

Awesome post Shell. And I have to say it's about time! I too absolutely LOVE Grand Forks because of all the memories that I have of our family trips down there. They are priceless.

Thanks for sharing.

 
At 9:33 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

schmidt happens is up and running again! i quit checking your blog about 3 months ago...
have fun in GF, my mom is going this weekend too. if you see her, do NOT let her buy another pair of flip flops for my daughter!

 
At 9:46 p.m., Blogger gloria said...

indeed, tell Jenn's mom she can buy some for MY daughter so she stops wearing MINE!

 
At 9:57 p.m., Blogger svea said...

I Love it shell, Love your descriptions i feel like I am there. Have a blast. I am looking forward to taking EIley and her little sibling soon.

 
At 9:58 p.m., Blogger esther said...

memories of family trips are so precious, hey?!?! i loved your post shell, and love that you will be having a sleepless night tonight :) have so much FUN!!!!

 
At 9:59 p.m., Blogger Martha said...

Yep, those are some of my fondest memories too. I don't know what it is about GF but it still is one of my favorite places to go. I am SO jealous. Wish I could come. Have a great, safe weekend.

 
At 9:20 a.m., Blogger Crystal said...

Grandma in the hottub wearing a bra is one of my FONDEST memories of her. That was SO funny! I lost my owl earrings many years ago, and it really makes me sad. That, and the coconut purse you're mom brought back for us from Disneyland. I bet you still have that one too! Boy, I sure felt superior to you when we were allowed to play with them and wear the earrings all the time and you weren't. Who's laughing now?

Great post! (You didn't mention anything about drinking Dr. Pepper and eating Krackle bars; two other things they didn't have up in Canada that were our faves!)

 
At 2:38 p.m., Blogger Martha said...

Shelley I am glad you have such great memories of GF.It will always be our home away from home.
I'm not to sure about the Rustler Jeans though? Love Dad

 
At 2:47 p.m., Blogger shelley said...

Dad, rustlers or wranglers!

 
At 11:11 p.m., Blogger gloria said...

come on Mart, let Ben have his OWN account!

 
At 9:31 p.m., Blogger Roo said...

yeah!! i feel your joy. where else in the world can you buy shirts for $1.99. The last time i was there I found this amazing deal -- shirts at OLD NAVY for $5 or something cheap like that. AND THEN WHEN I WENT TO THE CASHIER the total tally was....$1.99. i about collapsed right then and there. :)

 
At 8:58 a.m., Blogger shelley said...

Crys, how could I forget Dr. Pepper.

 
At 10:30 a.m., Blogger joyce said...

Holy shamoley, Shelley! FOURTEEN COMMENTS! Who loves you?!

Hope it was marvelous. So, I guess you won't be coming shopping for the real deals tonight then?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home